How To Measure for New Spa Cover
HOW TO MEASURE FOR A HOT TUB COVER
Spa Covers Canada has created this guide to assist you with measuring for a new hot tub cover or spa cover. While we do maintain an extensive list of measurements according to manufacturer and model, specifications can vary slightly from year to year. For this reason, our team will compare the information in our database against the measurements for the best possible fit.
Before you jump into measuring your hot tub or spa, please review the following suggestions.
- While a hot tub can be measured by one person, Spa Covers Canada strongly recommends having a handy helper available to assist during the measurements process.
- Due to environmental factors, hot tub covers age by way of warping or shrinkage. When taking measurements for a new cover, please use your hot tub and not the existing cover. In the event your existing hot tub cover is still in good shape, you may wish to use the measurements for comparison purposes only. Always measure twice! When in doubt, use the measurements from the hot tub itself.
- Please provide the hot tub width and length measurements in inches. You may need to round up to the nearest half inch (0.5"). When taking measurements for a hot tub cover, it is always best to round up. A hot tub cover that is half an inch too big will likely not make a noticeable difference, but amazingly a half-inch shortage may mean the hot tub cover will not fit whatsoever.
- When supplying measurements to Spa Covers Canada, please include the overall length and width of the hot tub. We manufacturer using the specifications you provide, so the more dimensions and data you can provide, the better the accuracy and fit.
- Spa Covers Canada proudly manufactures covers up to 96" in width or length on a regular basis. Should you require any of custom considerations, please contact us at
Measuring A Conventional Hot Tub Cabinet
Conventional hot tub cabinets (shown in figure A) feature an acrylic shell lip that overhangs from the hot tub cabinet. These are the most common hot tub style and are typically the easiest to measure. Simply take the overall dimensions of the shell, from lip to lip.
The hot tub cover skirt covers the lip of the shell as shown in the diagram on the right. The skirt is a cosmetic element, but when measured incorrectly can lead to bunching or push up the hot tub cover. Please review the section titled "Hot Tub Cover Skirt" for more information on how to measure.
Measuring A Hot Tub Cabinet With Wooden Ledge
If your hot tub has a wooden ledge rim (shown in figure B), you have two options available for consideration.
Option 1: The hot tub skirt will only cover the acrylic shell lip and will sit on top of the wooden ledge as illustrated in diagram (X).
Option 2: The hot tub skirt will cover both the acrylic shell and the wooden ledge rim as shown in diagram (Y).
(Skirt Style X) Please Note for Spa Cover skirt that sits on top of the wood cabinet ledge:
If you would prefer to have the hot tub cover skirt sit on top of the wooden cabinet ledge rim, then you need to measure the acrylic shell dimension and the skirt length as shown in the dimensions for Skirt (X) on figure (B) from above.
In order for the hot tub cover to be correctly seated, you will want to make the length of the skirt about a half inch shorter than distance from the top of acrylic shell to top of wooden ledge rim.
(Skirt Style Y) Please Note for Spa Cover skirt that covers the wood cabinet ledge:
If you would prefer to have the hot tub cover skirt cover the cabinet ledge rim, then you need to measure the acrylic shell dimensions for the skirt length as shown in the dimensions for Skirt (Y) on figure (B) from above.
Hot Tub Corner Cover Radius Measurements
If your hot tub features rounded corners, Spa Cover Canada will require the radius of the corner. The easiest way to determine the radius is by using a carpenter's square, as pictured in the diagram. The distance between the inside corner of the carpenter's square (A) to the point where it first touches the hot tub (B) is equal to the radius of the hot tub's rounded corner. In the provided example, the radius is 7 inches.
Hot Tub Cover Skirt
On average, a hot tub cover skirt length is 4 inches. However, Spa Covers Canada can custom make your hot tub cover without a skirt or a skirt up to any length starting at 1.5 inches and up. When in doubt about what length to choose, please contact our team at email@example.com